Grant for veteran servicemen / women who sustained a service connected disability

Veterans, servicemen and women who sustained a service connected disability can now apply for a Granting Freedom grant up to $4,000 through the Blue Ridge Independent Living Center.  The funds must be used to modify a home and are available to both renters and homeowners.

These funds can be used to pay for modifications needed to make living spaces more accessible.  Examples of modifications include:  ramps, widened doorways, grab bars, raised toilets, lowered countertops, tub cuts, visual smoke detectors, shower chairs and handheld shower fixtures, as well as other approved modifications.

The funds are made available through the Virginia Housing Development Authority.  For additional information contact BRILC at 540-342-1231 or by calling Virginia Relay 711.  BRILC is a private, nonprofit organization that assists individuals with disabilities to be independent.

Posted in:


    • Unfortunately, we have no idea. You would have to contact the housing finance agency in the state to find out if they have funds that they use for home modifications for veterans.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *